We are a Picture News Advocate School, which means we recognise current world events in our weekly assemblies across school, as well as highlighting British Values and the UN convention Rights of the Child (UNCRC).
As well as our Picture News ‘current affairs’ assemblies, we have Celebration Assemblies and singing assemblies led by Calderdale Music Trust, too. We also have an annual rota of planned assemblies, which are delivered by teachers, leaders and visitors in school. Assemblies are age-appropriate and often led through a text.
During Autumn term, all our children have taken part in planned assemblies on issues as varied as poetry, democracy, Recycling Week, Yom Kippur, Black History Month, Remembrance Day, Anti-Bullying Week, Money, Advent and Christmas.
During Spring term, all our children have taken part in planned assemblies on issues as varied as New Year’s Resolutions, Chinese New Year, Children’s Mental Health Week, Neurodiversity, Water Safety, LGBT History Month, Safer Internet Day, Lent and Easter.
In Summer term, our planned assemblies are about: (19.04) William Shakespeare’s birthday; (26.04) Responsibility; (03.05) Vesak or ‘Buddha Day’; (10.05) National Children’s Day; (17.05) Walk to School Week; (24.05) Emergency Services; (07.06) People Who Look After Us; (14.06) Animal Welfare; (21.06) School Diversity Week; (28.06) Summer Safety; (05.07) Eid Al-Adha; (12.07) Malala Yousafazai’s birthday; (19.07) Year 6’s leavers.
Our mission statement of ‘Achieving Together’ reinforces this ethos – our aims and values are:
- To provide a safe and secure place to learn.
- To provide a happy, caring and welcoming environment in which all work together.
- To encourage self-esteem, independence and emotional intelligence.
- To provide a variety of fun, stimulating, quality learning experiences which enable all learners to reach their full potential.
- To provide a balanced, broad and differentiated curriculum, which is equally accessible to all, and which encourages learners to develop knowledge, skills and understanding.
- To value and respect all, in our community and beyond.
- To encourage perseverance and a positive attitude to learning.
- To encourage healthy, safe life choices.
- To build strong effective relationships with all in our community.
- To create firm foundations for the future, as individuals and citizens.